Thursday, July 24, 2008

Not Again!!!

Well, our kitty count has doubled. We now have 2 cats. This one is even smaller than Chance was when we first found him. Let me back up and set the scene. On Monday, when I got home from work Helen stopped me in the driveway and told me to park right where I was and come inside the house. She called me back to the back door and had me look out in the back yard against the house. The only thing I could see was white fur. I'll admit for a brief second I thought it was AnnaBelle. Not getting my hopes up, I asked if it was a cat. Helen told me it was, and that it had 5 kittens at about lunchtime. I opened the door to get a closer look and sure enough, there they were, 5 tiny little kitties and their mama. We didn't want to disturb her so we closed the door and went back inside. A little while later, my curiosity got the best of me and as I went to park my motorcycle under the shop, I slowly walked up the back porch where I could see the babies. The mama saw me and started hissing. I just tried talking to her in a sweet calm voice, but she just hissed and hissed (just like a woman...always mad about something. I mean you can't even walk without getting in trouble!! Just kidding.). So, I went inside and left her alone.
Anyway, as I was leaving for work the next morning, I looked down to check on them and noticed that she had moved the kittens; all except for one. I didn't think anything about it. I just figured that she hadn't finished moving them all yet, so I went on my merry little way to work. I let Helen know about the lone kitty, and to check to see if the mama comes for it. I called about noonish to check, and she said it was still there. So I was wondereing if we should take it and feed it. Helen told me she had called Quailwood and they said to give till the end of the day. Okay no big deal then, it will be fine. When I came home, I checked again and it was still there. No sign of mama. The weather was starting to turn bad; Hurrican Dolly was in Texas, and was throwing thunderstorms at us. I told her that I'm going to get it and take care of it since the weather was getting bad. Still not wanting to touch it, I got a small hand towel and picked it up and started towards the car (we were going to Mom and Rich's) when mama cat came from the neighbor's yard. I laid the kitty down on the towel in the grass, and we all went back inside and watched so we wouldn't freak her out again. She walked up to her baby and sniffed it for a little while, and sat down beside it. After a few minutes, she walked away like it was nothing. So, we decided we'd put it in a box with some of Chance's food (for the mama) and see what would happen when we got back from mom's. It was still in the box when we got home, and I couldn't just let it die. I figured the mama abandoned it when she walked away from it, but wanted to give her every possible opportunity to take it. I figured if it was going to die, then I would at least give it a "chance" to live. I have never really been a fan of cats, but I won't just let it die either. I took it in the house and started the whole process over again the same way I did with chance. Although this kitt still has the umilical cord attached and its eyes aren't open yet. It's doing very well I think. It has survuved 3 days with us so far, and is looking good. I'll post some pictures when we get some.

2 comments:

The Sauls Family said...

Poor kitty! Does the mama cat belong to your nieghbor?

The Vicars said...

No one seems to know who the momma cat belongs to. We have asked and everyone thinks it just hangs around. We have searched for the other kittens but haven't found them. So hopefully all is well with them.

PS. I am hoping this one is a girl so that I can have my Providence.